What do you want to wish for in the New Year? asks my friend Eric. It’s January in Teotitlan and the tradition is to go to the caves high up on a mountain top just outside the pueblo. Everyone goes — madres y padres, abuelos y abuelas, primos, hermanos, los ninos — by foot, in the back of pick-up trucks, or jammed into cars. A few go by 3-wheel taxi’s that I call “tuk tuk’s.” Some even ride horses. It is a parade going one-way up the narrow, cobbled, becoming earth-packed, path. We bring a picnic and find a spot we can call our own and begin to gather stones and small rocks to build our dreams. Most everyone wishes for a new house and builds miniature versions, multi-storied with a grand central garden, walkways, a roof of twigs. We make an offering of a few pesos at the altars at the foot of the caves. It feels as if people have been doing this for generations. Sunset comes. It is chilly, glorious, a celebration of dreams. The photo you see is “Sunset at Las Cuevitas” that I shot in 2006.
Search by Key Word
See Us Social
- View https://www.facebook.com/normalee.schafer’s profile on Facebook
- View https://twitter.com/OaxacaCulture’s profile on Twitter
- View oaxacaculture’s profile on Instagram
- View https://www.pinterest.com/oaxacaculture/’s profile on Pinterest
- View Norma Schafer’s profile on YouTube
- View Norma Schafer’s profile on Vimeo
- View Norma Schafer’s profile on Google+
Norma Contributes Two Chapters!
- Norma Schafer and Oaxaca Cultural Navigator LLC has offered programs in Mexico since 2006. We have over 30 years of experience developing and delivering award-winning programs for Indiana University, University of Virginia, George Washington University and University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Study tours are personally curated and introduce you to Mexico's most stunning artisans. They are off-the-beaten path, internationally recognized, live and work at home where it is safe and secure to travel. Groups are limited to 12 people for the most personal experience.
Workshops are scheduled according to your travel plans. Send us your available dates.
Designers, retailers, wholesalers, universities and other organizations come to us to develop customized itineraries, meetings and conferences. It's our pleasure to make arrangements.
Tell us how we can put a program together for you! Send an email firstname.lastname@example.org