A message popped into my inbox last week from NYC textile designer Fern Devlin, who had found us on a Google search. She had a handwoven tablecloth that she thought might be from Oaxaca and asked me about provenance. I took a close look and saw texture and pattern elements that were familiar to me in the woven cloth work I have seen in Mitla. But, the real expertise would need to come from Eric Chavez Santiago and the Museo Textil de Oaxaca. I forwarded Fern’s request to Eric who gave his expert assessment of the piece. You can read about it on Fern’s blog.
About Our Programs
Workshops, Retreats, Expeditions. We offer hands-on, in-depth educational programs and cultural immersion experiences with experts in their field who know how to teach. In small groups, limited to 10 people, you develop skills and explore your creativity with lots of personal attention. We pride ourselves on giving you an authentic, affordable learning experience that is safe and inviting. Come with us to discover Oaxaca as you deepen your knowledge and enrich your connection.
Key Word Search
- Easter in Oaxaca, Mexico: Semana Santa Photography Workshop
- Shop Mexico–The Artisan Sisters Week 12: Majolica Pitcher and Plate
- Dilemma: Separating the blog from my personal life — gaps and overlaps
- Oaxaca Day of the Dead Photography Exhibit at Duke University Set: Chavez Family to Participate
- Shop Mexico: The Artisan Sisters Week 11–Bertha Cruz Alebrijes
- A Fast Walk Through Oaxaca, Mexico
- Jean Paul Gaultier, Bad Boy of Fashion, Madonna and the Virgin of Guadalupe
Tagsalebrijes archeology art blogsherpa Chiapas class classes Cochineal cooking course creative writing culture day of the dead dia de los muertos Eric Chavez Santiago Federico Chavez Sosa folk art food indigo jewelry Mexico Museo Textil de Oaxaca natural dyes Norma Hawthorne Oaxaca photography poetry postaweek2011 Puebla recipe recipes restaurants retreat safety Teotitlan del Valle textiles tourism traditions travel Travel and Tourism weaving workshop workshops yoga Zapotec
© Oaxaca Cultural Navigator LLC -2011.2007-2011. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material is prohibited without express and written permission. Excerpts, photos and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Norma Hawthorne, Oaxaca Cultural Navigator LLC along with a link to the original content.