Now that I’m back in North Carolina, I am looking at my Oaxaca folk art collection of whimsical, carved wood and hand-painted alebrijes. Wow, there are a lot of beautiful alebrijes from San Martin Tilcajete and San Antonio Arrazola, including some by famed Jacobo Angeles and his wife Maria. It’s now time to sell as I prepare to spend more months each year in Mexico in smaller space. I brought them here carefully, one by one, over the years with no damage. I don’t want to risk it going the other way! So, here they are up for sale. I will definitely consider all good offers, too.
If I don’t sell these here this week, I will list them on eBay. So don’t hesitate!
1. From master wood carvers Jacobo and Maria Angeles in San Martin Tilcajete, a carved and painted jaguar mask, $165.
This is a stunning addition to any mask collection!
Jacobo and Maria Angeles are the most famed woodcarvers of San Martin Tilcajete. They have exhibited worldwide, are in private collections and their work is impeccable. They also operate Azucenas Zapoteca Restaurant and have a gallery on Macedonio Alcala in the historic center of Oaxaca.
2. Flying Hummingbird #1 by Jacobo and Maria Angeles, San Martin Tilcajete, Oaxaca. This one is hand-painted with all natural dyes — cochineal, nuts, moss. wing span 6″ and from beak to tail, 5″ long. $85 USD.
3. Flying Hummingbird #2 (below) by Jacobo and Maria Angeles, San Martin Tilcajete. Magenta with blue and yellow accents. Wing span 5″ and beak to tail 5-1/2″. $60 USD.
4. Exquisite Lizard by Rocio Ramirez, Xoxocotlan, Oaxaca. Just look at that tail! This is one entire piece of copal wood, carefully carved and beautifully painted in perfect condition. 18″ long and 10″ wide, from tail to end of left claw! Impressive. $295 USD.
5. Hector Lopez carved this rhinoceros in his home village of Arrazola about seven years ago. I have had it as a prominent part of my collection ever since. The painting detail is incredible and it is carved from a single piece of copal wood, except for the detachable tail and ears. From tail to end of front horn, 17″ long. Stands 8″ high. $325 USD.
6. And, finally, a wonderful Black and White Bear by famed Maria and Candida Jimenez Ojeda, San Martin Tilcajete, Oaxaca. 8″ long x 4″ high x 3″ wide. Small and mighty. The detail painting is stunningly Maria! $125 USD.
Send me an email and please refer to item number and description when inquiring. Price does not include shipping or insurance. Please tell me if you want this, along with your mailing address and I will send you an invoice that includes shipping and insurance based on your location.