Come to Mexico City for an art history tour to explore the lives of Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera through their art.
- April 9 – 13, 2015
- August 6-10, 2015
We will have a long weekend — 4 nights and 5 days, to learn about Diego Rivera‘s stunning Mexico City murals, visit Casa Azul where Diego and Frida Kahlo lived, and see the largest private collection of their work at the Dolores Olmedo Museum. Through their eyes, you will better understand Mexico’s political, cultural and social history.
If you want to register, send me an email.
Our guide is art historian Valeria Espitia, M.F.A., who shares her passion for the Mexican Muralists and narrates the expedition. She leads us through these spaces to give you the most meaningful educational experience:
- Palacio Nacional
- Palacio Bellas Artes
- Museo de Mural de Diego Rivera
- Secretaria de Educacion Publica (SEP)
- San Ildefonso National Preparatory School and Abelardo Rodriguez market
- Casa Azul — the home of Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo
- Museo Dolores Olmedo Patiño
Casa Azul — Museo Frida Kahlo is a tribute to the life of both artists. Museo Dolores Olmedo Patiño has the largest private collection of Frida and Diego paintings in the world. She was a benefactor and life-long personal friend of Rivera.
Plus, we will shop for outstanding folk art, and eat at local markets, historic and fine contemporary and traditional restaurants!
The trip includes:
- 4 nights lodging at a top-rated, historic center hotel
- guided discussions by art historian Valeria Espitia, MFA, educated at UNAM and Southern Methodist University
- visits to folk art galleries
- introduction to Norma’s favorite restaurants (meals not included)
- transportation to Casa Azul and Dolores Olmedo Museum
- Day 1, Thursday: travel day, arrive and check into our hotel. Join in for an optional group welcome dinner (arrive by 6 p.m.)
- Day 2, Friday: guided visit to SEP, San Idlefonso, and the Abelardo Rodriguez market where Rivera’s students painted, optional group dinner
- Day 3, Saturday: guided visit to Palacio Bellas Artes and Museo Mural de Diego Rivera, optional folk art shopping
- Day 4, Sunday: guided visit to Casa Azul and Museo Dolores Olmedo Patiño
- Day 5, Monday: depart
Be ready to WALK and then, walk some more! Don’t forget to bring an extra suitcase to pack the treasures you pick up along the way.
Cost: $795 per person double occupancy. $995 per person single occupancy.
What the trip doesn’t include:
- breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks, alcoholic beverages
- transportation to/from Mexico City
- museum admission fees
- mandatory international health/accident insurance
- tips for hotels, meals and other services
Cost: $795 per person double occupancy. $995 per person single occupancy. Maximum: 6 people.
Optional: Arrive early and/or stay later to discover Mexico City and her incredible museums and restaurants. We will provide you with a list of recommendations to explore on your own. $200 per day per person additional. Tell us your dates and we will make your hotel reservations and include this in your invoice.
Reservations and Cancellations
A 50% deposit will guarantee your spot. The final payment for the balance is due 45 days before the program start date. Payment shall be made by PayPal. We will send you an itemized PayPal invoice.
Please understand that we make lodging and other arrangements months in advance of the program. Deposits or payments in full are often required by our hosts. If cancellation is necessary, please tell us in writing by email. After 45 days before the program starts, no refunds are possible. However, we will make every possible effort to fill your reserved space or you may send a substitute. If you cancel on or before the 45 day date, we will refund 50% of your deposit.
Required–Travel Health/Accident Insurance: We require that you carry international accident/health/emergency evacuation insurance. Proof of insurance must be sent at least two weeks before departure. If you do not wish to do this, we ask you email a PDF of a signed and witnessed waiver of liability, holding harmless Norma Hawthorne and Oaxaca Cultural Navigator LLC. Unforeseen circumstances happen!
To register, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We accept payment with PayPal only. Thank you.
This workshop is produced by Norma Hawthorne, Oaxaca Cultural Navigator LLC. We reserve the right to adjust the itinerary and substitute leaders without notice.