Oaxaca Cultural Navigator can arrange and schedule intensive tapestry weaving workshops and independent studio time that fits into your travel schedule. You learn from the Chavez Santiago family weavers in Teotitlan del Valle, Oaxaca, Mexico, with private or semi-private sessions.
We are happy to offer you this opportunity to come to Teotitlan del Valle to learn from one of the most accomplished master weavers of the village. The workshop can be scheduled as a private experience to suit your schedule. Studio residencies are flexible and can be scheduled for as long as you wish to stay — one day, several days or several months. This includes independent time at your own dedicated loom to work on your own projects.
Here is what we can offer you:
- Weaving Workshop: Intensive beginner to intermediate level 4-day workshop at $585 USD per person. This includes all wool and 4-6 hours of instruction daily. At the end of the workshop you will have completed a tapestry sampler about the size of a pillow cover or small wall-hanging. You will make your own lodging, food and transportation arrangements. Note: Weaving workshop may overlap with other participants.
- Optional: We can make all-inclusive arrangements for you when you register for Tapestry Weaving Workshop: Dancing on the Loom.
- Studio Time: Up to six-hours a day of studio time in the workshop at a dedicated loom. The cost is $100 a day. This includes naturally dyed wool, plus coaching and instruction to weave more complex designs. Note: Studio time may overlap with other participants.
- Long-Term Residencies: If you would like to stay longer than one-week, contact us for special pricing.
- Materials/Yarn for Purchase: You may purchase additional naturally dyed locally sourced, hand-spun churro wool directly from the family. The cost is $20 USD for 100 grams or 260 pesos for 100 grams.
You can bypass the Intensive 5-day Weaving Workshop and go directly to studio time IF you are an experienced tapestry weaver or IF you have taken the beginner-intermediate workshop from the family at another time.
If you are interested in making these arrangements, please contact Norma Hawthorne at Oaxaca Cultural Navigator. We can set up the studio residency for as many days or weeks as you wish. You would make all payments to reserve the workshop and studio arrangements with Oaxaca Cultural Navigator. We will send you a PayPal invoice for 1/2 the total cost with the remaining amount due 45 days before the workshop/residency begins. You would need to specify the dates you prefer for the workshop and/or when you want the residency.