This one-day customized study tour takes you beyond Oaxaca City and into the villages along the highway to Ocotlan de Morelos, the home of famed Mexican painter and muralist Rodolfo Morales (1925-2001). We schedule this excursion based on your travel plans and our availability.
You can choose to visit four (4) of the following options from this menu of mixed media experiences:
- Black pottery making in San Bartolo Coyotepec
- A back-strap loom weaving workshop in Santo Tomas Jalieza
- A fine copal wood carver and painter (alebrijes) in San Martin Tilcajete
- A family of clay sculptors in San Antonino Castillo Velasco
- A group of embroiderers in San Antonino Castillo Velasco
- A visit to the Morelos murals, museum and market meander in the Ocotlan municipal center
We don’t go on Fridays, the frenzied day of the Ocotlan Market, when there is a crush of people and visitors and it’s too difficult to savor the experience.
What is included?
- Transportation to/from Oaxaca City Historic Center
- Expert explanations of art and craft
- Curated visits to meet some of the best artisans we know
$325 per day for one or two people. $165 per person additional. Does not include lunch or beverages. You will cover the cost of lunch for those in your party and the cost of lunch for your tour leader.
Schedule your dates directly with Norma Schafer. You reserve for the dates you prefer. Please send us a couple of options. You are welcome to organize your own small group. We match your travel schedule with our availability.
This is for a full day, starting at 9 a.m. when we pick you up and ending at about 6 p.m. when we return you to your Oaxaca lodging. Please provide us with hotel/lodging address and phone number.
Reservations and Cancellations
We require a non-refundable 50% deposit via an e-commerce payment service. We will send you an invoice when you tell us you are ready to register and we confirm dates. The 50% balance is due on the day of the tour in cash, either USD or MXN pesos (at the current exchange rate). When we receive funds, we will send you confirmation and details. Be sure to send us the name and address for where you are staying.