We are your portal to Oaxaca! This one-day customized study tour takes you beyond Oaxaca City and into the villages along the Tlacolula highway to San Pablo Villa de Mitla. We schedule this excursion based on your travel plans and our availability. It is a menu-based, mixed-media approach to discovering the best artisans that the region has to offer. We visit where artisans live and work. You choose your own tour destinations.
We want to give you flexibility and choice. We also want to give you a guided cultural experience, personalized and deep. We have spent years developing relationships with the artisans we visit. This is NOT a “punch my ticket” tour.
You can select to visit four (4) of the following options from this menu of experiences:
- A flying shuttle loom weaver who creates beautiful cotton home goods and clothing — El Tule or Mitla
- A fine wool rug weaver who works only in natural dyes on the fixed frame pedal loom — Teotitlan del Valle
- A beeswax candle maker who is an artist craftswoman — Teotitlan del Valle
CHOOSE FROM ONE OF THE FOLLOWING, EITHER #4 OR #5 OR #6 OR #7. (Each of these villages are about 30-minutes from the main road!)
4. A pottery cooperative in San Marcos Tlapazola OR
5. A family of apron makers and embroiderers in San Miguel del Valle OR
6. A mezcal tasting at a palenque in Santiago Matalan OR
7. An antique dealer on a hidden-away street in San Pablo Villa de Mitla with a treasure trove of vintage finds
We give you a full day, picking you up in the city at 9 a.m. and returning you by 6 p.m. If you want to add destinations, the cost is $100 USD more for each.
We don’t go on Sundays, the frenzied day of the Tlacolula Market, when there is a crush of people and visitors, and it’s too difficult to savor the experience. We also select the artisans to visit based on our knowledge and experience about outstanding craftsmanship.
What is included?
- Transportation to/from Oaxaca City Historic Center
- Lunch at an excellent restaurant or comedor
- Expert explanations of art and craft
- Curated visits to meet some of the best artisans we know
$300 per day for one or two people. $135 per person additional. If you want more than 4 destinations, the cost is $100 USD for each added stop.
Schedule your dates directly with Norma Schafer. You reserve for the dates you prefer. Please send us a couple of date options. You are welcome to organize your own small group. We match your travel schedule with our availability.
This is for a full day, starting at 9 a.m. when we pick you up and ending at around 6 p.m. when we return you to your Oaxaca lodging. Please provide us with hotel/lodging address and phone number.
Reservations and Cancellations
We require a non-refundable 50% deposit via an e-commerce payment service. We will send you an invoice when you tell us you are ready to register and we confirm dates. The 50% balance is due on the day of the tour in cash, either USD or MXN pesos (at the current exchange rate). When we receive funds, we will send you confirmation and details. Be sure to send us the name and address for where you are staying.